10.03.2013

MEAT PIE


One of the greatest things we brought back with us from Australia, among all the candy, sweets, and souvenirs, is a recipe for meat pie. Shaunee made a meat pie while we were there and it was absolutely to die for. I honestly couldn't stop talking about it. I insisted she give us the recipe and to my delight there wasn't much to it. When we got back, during one of our many grocery store trips we bought the supplies to make a delicious meat pie. Tonight I decided that since we can't have all that lovely chocolate we brought back from Australia, why not put all that Aussie barbecue sauce we brought back to good use? I surprised Tyler tonight by making my first meat pie (of many I'm sure). It turned out amazing and it's safe to say that we aren't really missing chocolate tonight.

Aussie Meat Pie:
1 lb. ground beef
1 bag frozen vegetables (I just used peas in this one)
Ketchup
Australian barbecue sauce (or just American will do, I guess)
Garlic Powder
Oregano
Basil
Italian Herbs
2 sheets puff pastry

Brown ground beef and drain grease. Add frozen vegetables and heat on medium until cooked. Add ketchup and barbecue sauce until it reaches a sloppy joe consistency. Add spices to your liking. Roll out puff pastry sheets to fit your pan (you can use a 9x13 cooking pan). Place one sheet on the bottom of the pan and add meat mixture. Place second sheet on top of mixture and fold the two sheets together along the edges. Cut a center slit for heat release. Bake* in the oven at 350 for about 20 minutes.

*This was a little bit of a trial and error. I kept checking it every once in a while and I think I ended up turning it up a bit towards the end. Next time I make this, I'll have to keep better track of the time and temp.

No comments:

Post a Comment